So the next time you are trying to think about what, when or where to get ‘turned on to reading’ don’t forget about the fantastic, free resource readily available to us all – our Public Libraries!
- Public Libraries are by far the most heavily used community agencies in Australia: More than half the population are Public Library members, who make over 130 million visits a year to local Public Libraries. Not a member yet? Stop by your local Public Library tomorrow to join up. It’s free!
- Public Libraries are the only community places that provide open and free access to the Internet, and increasingly Wifi, for everyone. It’s not unusual to see every terminal in use and many accessing the wifi when you visit your local library. Be sure to book a terminal in advance to secure your spot.
- Public Libraries are about learning. They play a critical role in the delivery of educational services and lifelong learning for all in Australia, including immigrants and refugees. They provide homework support for students, support for home-schooled students and their parents, research help with legal, health and job-related needs, access to a very large range of informational databases, as well as classes and one-to-one programs to help seniors and others capitalise on new technologies.
- Public Libraries typically have substantial IT infrastructure and expertise – in physical plant and hardware, networking and software licences as well as skilled and knowledgeable librarians – to help make immediate use of great improvements, which the National Broadband Network promises to bring to the online experiences of all Australians.
- Public Libraries are among the most trusted and safest of community destinations, the most heavily used and valued partnerships of state and local governments, and are the most heavily visited parts of council websites.
- Public Libraries – from substantial international and Australian research – represent a tremendous economic value with an outstanding return on investment (ROI) of between $4 and $8 for every dollar invested in them. Public Library membership is a valuable commodity. Don’t miss out. Act now by joining, visiting and supporting your local Public Library!